Costa Mesa Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
There are many Orange County nursing homes and choosing the right one for your loved one can be a daunting challenge.
Many Costa Mesa families are forced to make this decision under stress because of an emergency situation or a medical issue.
This is why it may be in your best interest to be proactive in your search for a Costa Mesa nursing home. Visiting numerous facilities before you are forced to make a decision can help you choose the best and most suitable nursing home one for your family member.
Choosing the wrong nursing home can sometimes lead to situations where abuse occurs and in these cases, it would be wise to choose an experienced Costa Mesa personal injury lawyer.
Choosing the Right Nursing Home for Your Loved One
Many nursing homes provide different levels of service and some, tragically, have issues with neglect and abuse. It may be in your best interest to ask a number of questions and take the following steps to ensure that your loved one gets quality care:
- Visit multiple facilities at various times of day. Inspect the premises, the living conditions and the number of staff members.
- Inquire about the type of care that the staff will give to your loved one.
- Learn about the medical and nursing staff and obtain more information about their credentials and training.
- Determine what types of amenities are included in the monthly fee.
- Does the facility have adequate safety measures in place? Notice the emergency exits, the locks on the doors, the number of surveillance cameras, if there is a security team and if the facility has working fire alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Does the facility appear well maintained? Is it sanitary?
- What does the kitchen area look like? It is clean?
- Does the medical staff have the skill and experience that your loved one requires?
- Take the time to observe the day-to-day activities at the facility. Do the other residents appear happy? Do they appear well groomed? What does the facility smell like? Are there activities that the residents participate in every week?
- When you walk through the facility, what is the general mood of the home? Is there a feeling of community?
- Does the facility have the capability of fulfilling your loved ones specific dietary needs?
Attorney Brian Chase explains why elder abuse is currently on the rise.
How to Remain Proactive to Elder Abuse
If you have taken the time to choose the right Costa Mesa nursing home, you will want to make sure that you remain proactive and involved.
Remaining in contact with your loved one and visiting the facility at various times of the day is important.
Get to know the staff members who work there throughout the day.
Being an involved and active part of your loved one's care can help ensure that your loved one gets the attention he or she needs.
Warning Signs of Elder Abuse
Even the best facilities are prone to hire negligent or abusive employees. When visiting the facility, be on the lookout for the following warning signs:
- Bedsores: This is a potential sign of neglect.
- Unexplained bruises and injuries: All injuries should be listed and explained on the patient's medical records. Unexplained injuries could mean that the facility is trying to cover up something.
- Malnutrition: Small changes in health are normal, but malnutrition is a sign that your loved one is not getting the food and hydration he or she needs.
- Poor hygiene: All care facilities should provide clean and sanitary facilities.
- Changes in personality: If your loved one has been depressed, withdrawn or fearful, an incident may have occurred.
An experienced Costa Mesa nursing home abuse lawyer can also let you know what other waring signs to keep a look out for and your loved one's rights in the case of elder abuse and neglect.
Brian Chase breaks down what you need to look out for when it comes to elder abuse
Protecting Your Loved Ones
There are cases of patients being mistreated, neglected or abused in Costa Mesa nursing homes every year.
If you suspect that abuse or neglect has occurred at your loved one's care facility, please do not hesitate to discuss your legal rights and options with an experienced personal injury lawyer who has successfully handled nursing home abuse and neglect case.
The experienced Costa Mesa nursing home abuse lawyers at Bisnar Chase can help victims and their families get justice and fair compensation for their losses, pain and suffering. Please call us at 949-203-3814 or contact us today for a free consultation and comprehensive case evaluation.